Calvin A. Hamilton has more than 35 years’ experience in International Arbitration and has sat in investor state and commercial disputes across the globe. His experience includes sitting as an arbitrator under ICC, ICDR, Madrid Court of Arbitration, Zurich Chamber of Commerce and UNCITRAL rules in a variety of seats.
His primary focus is in the Caribbean, London, Continental Europe and US. Appropriate to his practice experience Mr Hamilton has developed a good understanding of the common law and civil law through his practice in Spain, the Commonwealth Caribbean, including Guyana and Barbados, and the US. His culture and language skills also enable him to properly conduct arbitrations, appreciate and anticipate cultural and other due process problems when sitting as an arbitrator.
Mr. Hamilton is fluent in Spanish and conducts arbitrations in both English and Spanish. He is proficient in French and has a working knowledge of Portuguese. He is a dual national of Guyana and Spain and is admitted in New York and Madrid.
- Investor State
- Corporate & Commercial
- Shareholder Disputes
- Joint Venture & Sale of Goods
- Energy & Natural resources
- Manufacturing & Distribution
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Banking & Finance
He is a specialist arbitrator and his experience lies in Investor State and Commercial disputes rising from administrative and public law, retail and consumer, energy and natural resources, mergers & acquisitions, cross-border transactions including distribution, agency, franchise and transfer agreements, and acquisition of assets and/or shares.
- International arbitration between foreign investor and a Caribbean government, concerning the breach of an investment for citizenship agreement. Seated in St. Kitts.
- International arbitration between a Caribbean government, government agency and foreign investor, concerning housing construction. Seated in Barbados.
- International arbitration between an Italian investor and a Spanish manufacturer of wind terminals concerning defective technology. Seated in Paris.
- International arbitration between a Spanish international bank and an investor concerning the breach of commercial banking agreements. Seated in London.
- 4 concurrent arbitrations involving a major construction company and a contractor concerning construction defects, delays, cost overruns and changed specifications. Seated in Madrid.
- Arbitration between an international home improvement company and a construction company concerning wrongful termination and breach of contract. Seated in Madrid
- International arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules between a US manufacturer of electronic units and its Spanish distributor concerning the breach of a distribution agreement. Seated in Minneapolis Minnesota.
- International arbitration between a Moroccan bank and Spanish state-owned insurer of Spanish foreign investments concerning the interpretation of contract provisions and duties and obligations of the insurer. Seated in New York.
- International ad hoc arbitration between a US buyer and a Spanish manufacturing company regarding indemnity claims under an insurance policy. Seated in New York.
- Chair or Sole Panelist on dozens of Domain name disputes.
- Ad hoc arbitration under UNCITRAL Rules between British Virgin Islands Company and a Caribbean State Agency for breach of contract. Seated in St. Lucia.
- Request for Independent Review Process between Turkish investor and ICANN, concerning failure to approve and delegate management responsibilities in a generic top-level domain name. ICDR Rules. Seated in California.
- Ad hoc arbitration under UNCITRAL Rules between US manufacturer of curtainwalls and Bermudan building contractor for breach of payment obligations. Seated in Bermuda.
- Chair in several domain name arbitrations.
- International arbitration between a Spanish international bank and an investor concerning swap instruments with seat in Madrid.
- International arbitration between US multinational and Caribbean privately owned television consortium with seat in New York.
- International arbitration between a UK construction company and a Caribbean state-owned housing development corporation with seat in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago.
- International arbitration between Caribbean state-owned entity and a foreign investor with seat in London.
- International arbitration between Uruguayan and British Virgin Islands parties with seat in Madrid concerning the breach of contract of an investment in mutual funds.
- International arbitration between US companies on the one hand, and French and Swiss companies on the other, with seat in Madrid concerning the breach of a Share Purchase Agreement.
- International arbitration with seat in Zurich, between a Spanish manufacturer and Russian buyer concerning the delivery of a defective production line.
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Retired, Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Law, University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus
- Former Lecturer, IE Law School, Madrid, Spain
- Member of the Board of Directories of the Spanish Arbitration Club
- Member of the European Advisory Committee of the Fletcher School, Tufts University
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Past Co-Chair, Madrid Chapter, International Law Section, NYSBA
- Past Vice Chair, Executive Committee of the International Law Section, NYSBA
- Past Vice Chair, Section of International Law, International Commercial Transactions, Franchising and Distribution Committee, ABA
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA)
- Madrid Bar Association (ICAM)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA)
- Association for International Arbitration (AIA)
- Spanish Arbitration Club (CEA)
- Comite Brasileiro de Arbitragem (CBAr)
- Trinidad and Tobago Dispute Resolution Centre